(1182 – 1226)
– Be praised, my Lord, through all your creatures, especially through my lord Brother Sun, who brings the day; and you give light through him. And he is beautiful and radiant in all his splendor! Of you, Most High, he bears the likeness.
– Be praised, my Lord, through Sister Moon and the stars; in the heavens you have made them, precious and beautiful.
– Be praised, my Lord, through Brothers Wind and Air, and clouds and storms, and all the weather, through which you give your creatures sustenance.
– Be praised, My Lord, through Sister Water; she is very useful, and humble, and precious, and pure.
– Be praised, my Lord, through Brother Fire, through whom you brighten the night. He is beautiful and cheerful, and powerful and strong.
– Be praised, my Lord, through our sister Mother Earth, who feeds us and rules us, and produces various fruits with colored flowers and herbs.
– Be praised, my Lord, through our Sister Bodily Death, from whose embrace no living person can escape. Woe to those who die in mortal sin! Happy those she finds doing your most holy will. The second death can do no harm to them.
(The Golden Chain)
COMMENTARY ON THE FOUR GOSPELS
COLLECTED OUT OF THE WORKS OF THE FATHERS
ST. THOMAS AQUINAS
JOHN HENRY NEWMAN